I wanted to write about something today. But I didn’t want to write about Shrek again. So I thought to myself ‘what can I write about instead?’ What else do I know? Then I rewatched a particular video for like the ten thousandth time and realised…. THIS. This is what I know.
It’s thirty seconds, but very good. Go ahead, watch it a few more times. Really soak it in.
REMEMBER BOTTLE FLIPPING? The hottest craze of 2016? The bane of parents and schoolteachers world wide? Remember the viral talent show clip that started it all?
It’s weird how even a year later this can seem like ancient history. Bottle flipping videos are now cultural relics of historical importance. And the video I shared at the top of this post is just such a relic.
The clip itself is from a longer piece taken from kingvader‘s Instagram page –
But I think the cut-down video in the tweet works better. It feels tighter, cutting right to the chase, and eliminating what you might describe as the unnecessary world-building at the start. I much prefer the bottle flipper as an anonymous stranger, just busting a door down and doing his thing.
Here are my favourite bits of the video:
- Just slamming that door right down, or at least trying to. I’m guessing they filmed this in a school or something so didn’t want to damage anything. So his foot doesn’t quite connect with the door fully, but it’s a high kick that looks really badass anyway.
- The way the interviewers immediately look shocked and intimidated.
- “Do you have any special talents?” just right off the bat, just like in a real interview.
- How he goes straight into the bottle flip, as if he was gonna be doing that regardless of what they asked him.
- The way they kinda sit up as the bottle is in the air.
- Obviously, the bit when the bottle lands and the drop comes in. And how heavy and horrible the bass is there.
- The commitment each of the actors puts into their performance for the rest of the video. There’s the guy who just throws himself back in his chair, the guy just chucking his notes, the chap with the keyboard, and of course…
- Mr Milkshake Shaker. The true hero. Absolutely drenching himself in the stuff. Immersing himself in the role like some kind of Daniel Day Lewis method actor, with no regard for the mess he’s making.
Just look at the concentration:
I wish I could be that committed to literally anything. The man is an inspiration to us all.
It’s also just really funny and stupid and fun. Basically, it’s a perfect 30 second internet video and I’m glad that it exists.
Aaaand, I think that’s all I had to say about this one.